Saturday, May 23, 2009

Chandler's Crabhouse: Not Just For Drinking Anymore


Photobucket



So, my Dad is town and my parents came up to my apartment today to visit with me and enjoy a rare sunny day in Seattle. The few days that are sunny in this fantastic city make up for the constant nasty drizzle all year round, if you ask me anyway. We went to Queen Anne Cafe (meh overall, but crab cakes were pretty good) for lunch and Le Panier for dessert (OMG-- I love their eclairs!). Then we did a bit of shopping and went back to my apartment to talk and relax for a bit before heading out to dinner.

We went down to Lake Union and went to Chandler's Crabhouse (901 Fairview Avenue N., Seattle 98109). I have a bit of history with Chandler's . . . in 2006 it was my favorite place to go cocktailing. I had a pretty solid group that would meet at Chandler's every few Saturdays. We would fraternize with the bartender (and by fraternize I mean buy him shots) and I have a lot of great memories of that year because of Chandler's. However, I had never actually EATEN there until tonight and I was completely blown away.

We sat in the sunshine at a booth right on the water and ordered cocktails and wine to start. Let me say first of all that Finlandia is their house vodka (seriously? awesome!) and they also had Viognier by the glass. Then we ordered this spicy crab appetizer with hollandaise sauce and it was rich, creamy and wonderful-- none of that odd feeling where you put something in your mouth that you thought was fish, but now you're not so sure because of the odd taste and texture. Then I ordered the Australian lobster tail with mashed potatoes and asparagus. It was so good that I literally told my Mom to stop asking me questions while I was eating so that I could concentrate on enjoying my dinner. My Dad ordered the ahi tuna and my Mom ordered the salmon, and we were all extremely impressed with our entrees. We all sampled each other's food and EVERYTHING was amazing. I would almost even say that the mashed potatoes at Chandler's rivaled the infamous mashed potatoes at the Metropolitan Grill. Then we ordered dessert. A molten brownie sundae and creme brulee with a 30 year port . . . the perfect way to end an excellent meal at sunset on Lake Union. I will say that my Dad, who is more knowledgeable than me on the subject, was slightly disappointed in the port recommended by the staff and did not feel that the chocolate dessert was rich enough.

The prices at Chandler's are NOT cheap, but not completely outrageous either as the seafood is extremely high quality. My lobster tail entree was $40 and my parents entrees were both around $30. So, about typical for a quality restaurant on the water and worth every penny.

Needless to say I am quite stuffed and almost ready to go into a food coma as I write this, but I had a wonderful day and dinner with my family.

Just for fun, here is a picture from good ole drinking at Chandler's nights in 2006.

Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment