Monday, May 10, 2010

Dangerously Delicious Viognier Sangria

Yesterday was a gorgeous Seattle day! 70 degrees and super sunny . . . thank God May is here! Matt and I had a barbecue at his place and I decided to make a 'spring-y' cocktail for us to go along with our salmon, corn on the cob and bread (dinner was soooo good, btw!). I found a recipe for viognier sangria in Food and Wine magazine a couple years back and I have been waiting for an excuse to make it ever since. Of course, I have to wait until mangos are in season and available, lucky for me I spied some at Whole Foods last week.

The sangria is beautiful and yummy, but drinker beware because it packs a serious punch. It got me very drunk very fast, but I had a great night because of it.

To make the sangria you will need: 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup water, 1/4 cup fresh mint, 1 whole mango cubed, 2 peaches sliced thin, 1 cup of Grand Marnier (I'm pretty sure this ingredient was the drunken culprit) and one bottle of viognier. You simply make a simple syrup out of the water and the sugar, wait until it cools and then stir all of the ingredients together. Serve in a highball glass over ice.

I just had to share this recipe with my on-line followers. Next time the Lord blesses us with some sunshine mix up a batch of this and I can guarantee you a fun filled, great day. I will, however, make no such statement about the next morning: painful and not-so-fun. Consider yourself warned.

1 comment:

  1. Ahaha....20 adults at my grandsons 1st ought to be a memorable one...thanks for the headsup...gonna give it a whirl: )

    ReplyDelete