Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I Need A T-Shirt That Says: I Freaking Survived Hosting Christmas Dinner

Well, loyal readers I am happy to say that THE HOLIDAYS are OVER!!! Woo-hoo-hoo!!! I love my family very much, but man alive can those people EAT. They eat so fast that my cooking can't keep up and by the time I was finally able to sit down on Christmas Day I was completely and utterly exhausted. Above is a picture of the brunch that I made Christmas morning: mimosa's, fruit salad and a bacon, tomato and cheddar breakfast bake with eggs.

You can find the recipe for the breakfast bake at www.foodandwine.com/recipes/bacon-tomato-and-cheddar-breakfast-bake-with-eggs . The recipe is slightly complicated, but I was able to make most of it the night before and put it in the oven in the morning when I woke up. I have to say, it was quite delicious. The bread crumbs taste like perfectly seasoned potatoes and the runny egg yolks combined with the crisp crust are quite yummy. It was a big hit with everyone, even my exceedingly picky brother.

Next, I put together the lunch/appetizer platter and cocktails for everyone. This included: shrimp with cocktail sauce, chips and garlic dip, a veggie tray, mini cupcakes and my baked brie en croute. I made pink sugar rimmed cosmos for Mom and my brother's girlfriend, followed by margarita's and made sure Dad's glass was always full of pinot noir.

Meanwhile, I seasoned and baked the salmon, peeled and mashed the potatoes (with some help from Mom and Dad) and steamed the broccoli for dinner. I seasoned the salmon by generously sprinkling it with salt and pepper and then coating it with olive oil. I then completely covered the meat with minced garlic and followed up with lemon zest, dill and lemon juice. It came out tasting delicious, but man did it stink up my apartment!

After cooking all of that food and doing the dishes between each course (I only have six sets of plates because I live alone and normally only dirty one or two at a time) I was ready for bed. It made me happy to be able to prepare enjoyable meals for my family to make the holiday special though. My Mom said to me, "I always wondered what it would be like to go to one of my children's house for Christmas dinner and now I know! You did a great job!" It felt nice to hear her say that . . . but after all that work I don't think I'll be hosting again for quite some time.

I hope everyone had wonderful Christmas feasts with their families this year.

Below is a picture that really has nothing to do with this post, other than I thought it was cool. My Mom and I went to Anthony's last week and ordered the coconut prawns appetizer and this is what it looked like . . . pretty fru-fru arty and fancy for Anthony's! It tasted pretty good too.




No comments:

Post a Comment